Wednesday, August 8, 2012

SPOTLIGHT ON: WOODCUT MAPS



I stumbled across the company Woodcut Maps on Fresh Home. They create one of a kind laser-cut wood maps out of a variety of hardwoods like; Ebony, Mahogany, Zebrawood and Wenge. The way it works is, you pick your spot on their easy to use interactive map, then pick the size you want and your woods. They have some recommended wood combos available or you can customize which wood you want for land, water, landmarks and roads. After you've finalized everything and placed your order, they laser cut the design into wood veneer and hand assemble the pieces. The process takes a couple weeks from start to finish, then your map is delivered ready to mount! I think this is a really unique way to capture a memory like; your favorite vacation spot, your hometown, where you went to college or your wedding location- really the list is endless. 


Above here is the interactive map, size/shape options, some recommended wood combinations and the last bar is the customizable wood options. I tried out a few maps myself, the one right below is of my home town Old Saybrook, CT (in honor of my upcoming reunion this weekend) and below that one is the Westside District in Atlanta. Try making your own map here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As a lover of all things creative, I've created this blog to inspire and admire crazy good design. I own Kayte Designs, a small interior design firm with a focus in Hospitality, Residential and Office Design. We are based out of Atlanta, GA.

Followers