Tuesday, November 29, 2011

CUSTOM TECHY ART

A while ago I looked into DNA art for my husband and I. There are a few companies that do it but the one I liked the most (and had the fairest prices) was DNA11. The way it works is: you create a DNA sample with their kit by swabbing the inside of your cheek and mailing it in. They capture your one-of-a-kind DNA strand in some sciencey gel, enhance the image and print the pattern. You can choose your color palette and size. They also do couples portraits, like the black and white one below. I hadn't been on the site in a while and I was excited to see all the new products they have now, like the thumb print collection.





They've also got a lot of great ideas for future products, branching out of hanging artwork and in to home products. Sadly, these are not on the market yet, especially the rug below. It would be really sweet in a nursery or kids room. The second image shows an option to sign the bottom corner. 




Above is a DNA wallpaper, a little too big of a personal statement for me but hey- to each their own! I can however, get behind the thumbprint bowl below. It's very subtle and abstract but it would make such a thoughtful and personalized gift.






Another company that is using technology to make abstract art is Vapor Sky. As you can see below, these canvases can get pretty big but I'm happy to say the price range is from $199-$800! The first collection is Resonant Decor, based on a memorable sounds. They they take a sound clip you pick and turn it into a waveform and print it in the color palette you choose.



The second collection, Stellar Decor, is really interesting. This one captures the sky above you during an important memory. You send in the location, date and time and they can determine the exact position of the stars you were looking at using fancy astronomy software. Once they create the image, you can add a personal touch with the color palette.





I found the last company on my friends blog, Living Chic Studio. It's called Love Is Art, and it's a little less "high-tech" and a little more sexy then the products above. You order the Love Is Art Kit and they send you black or blue paint, a large plastic protective sheet, a white canvas, two pairs of slippers and a body scrubber. Scoot the furniture aside, roll out the protective plastic and the canvas, pour some paint and make some love! When your masterpiece is dry bring it to a local framer to have it stretched. I love these samples below, they look great and make for a fun dirty little secret. I don't think I have the guts to hang one over my sofa though..





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As a lover of all things creative, I've created this blog to inspire and admire crazy good design. I own Kayte Designs, a small interior design firm with a focus in Hospitality, Residential and Office Design. We are based out of Atlanta, GA.

Followers